MUMBAI – In line with its commitment to making a positive impact with an integrated approach toward creating sustained growth, Indian Hotels Company (IHCL), India’s largest hospitality company, continues to make strides in strengthening its sustainable business practices. Guided by its framework of Paathya, IHCL has undertaken several initiatives, including phasing out single-use plastic, reducing its carbon footprint, conserving water, accessing renewable energy and engaging with the communities they serve.
IHCL celebrates this week with a milestone achievement of 57 hotels achieving EarthCheck Platinum Certification, representing 10+ straight years of certification to the worlds leading sustainable tourism program. A total of 77 IHCL hotels have earned the coveted EarthCheck Certified status, and the group has realized significant savings since 2008:
- Saved over 1.2 billion MJ of energy. Enough energy to power 50,547 homes for a year
- Reduced over 200 million kg of carbon. Equivalent to removing 78,004 cars off the road
- Reduced almost 3 billion L of water. Which is equivalent to 1,199 Olympic swimming pools
- Reduced 17,000 cubic metres of waste from going to landfills. Equivalent to 515 shipping containers
- Establishing bottling plants at 15 hotels across the globe to eliminate the use of single-use plastic by replacing all plastic water bottles with reusable glass bottles
With a long term vision of driving responsible tourism, IHCL has announced its sustainability commitments for the year 2030 under Paathya. These include 100% elimination of single-use plastic across all its hotels, ensuring that 100% of wastewater is reused and that all business meetings and conferences go green with Innergise – Green Meetings.
Moreover, with a keen focus on reducing carbon footprint, IHCL has partnered with Tata Power to provide EV charging stations across hotels in key locations and has also continued to leverage the partnership to utilize renewable energy as a green energy source across hotels.
For more information on IHCL’s sustainable initiatives, please visit IHCL Sustainability Report.