Banyan Tree Samui has become the first hotel in Thailand, to be awarded EarthCheck Gold Certification recognising five years of continuous commitment towards sustainability.
Banyan Tree Samui overlooks a secluded cove of beach, coral reefs and sapphire waters. The resort’s CSR Manager is Thepsuda Loyjiw, a certified marine biologist, who offers her guests the option to participate in green activities such as the coral regeneration project, a wonderful conservation initiative, whereby broken corals are revived and re-attached to the local coral reef.
“Every day, our staff set out to protect the natural terrain and to show respect to the area in which we operate,” Ms Loyjiw said. “We are very proud to achieve EarthCheck Gold Certification.”
General Manager Remko Kroesen said that CSR has long been one of Banyan Tree’s core values.
“Milestones such as EarthCheck Gold status are attained through a passion for the environment by all our associates,” Mr Kroesen said.
“To care is in the DNA of our team and receiving this recognition only fuels the desire to continue our great range of CSR initiatives for years to come when our planet needs it most.”
Banyan Tree Samui has Implemented sustainable initiatives that embrace social and economic development:
- Cleaning around the local area in which they operate and amid the house reef in the resort’s private bay;
- Coral transplanting activities to help protect marine biodiversity;
- Reusing gray water for landscaping to reduce overall water consumption;
- Reducing waste through recycling projects;
- Coordinating mentorship and scholarship programs for underprivileged students; and
- Educating guests with activities such as the Sense of Nature Tour and Guided Snorkeling Tour.
The team have also made a commitment to eliminate single-use plastics in the coming year!